For the Birds

A Pair of Blue-Winged Teals and a Sora, Homer Lake Wetland, 4/12/2021

Today was for the birds at the Homer Lake Wetland (though there is always a lot to see and I saw plenty of other things as well). For the first time today I saw a pair of blue-winged teals at the wetland. They were swimming along and foraging near the cattails as I was making my rounds around the pond and then took off. I thought I had probably seen the last of them, but shortly after they flew in again. I don't know if that means they really like the spot or if they're thinking of settling in. However, according to the Audubon field guide app on my phone, they do not usually breed in our area.

The sora, visible in the photo above to the left of the two blue-winged teals and featured in the photo below, is a wading bird the really likes it in amongst the cattails. I briefly saw a sora at the wetland a week ago Saturday (4/3) so I'm wondering if it's the same one and if there might be a pair of them nesting in the cattails, or if it was just coincidence that I've now seen a sora twice making its way through the cattails.  I have not yet heard a sora calling at this wetland, but have heard them elsewhere. I find their call unique and delightful, so hopefully if you're in the area you'll get a chance to hear the descending whinny that they make (or of course, you can take advantage of the internet and listen to one online. Here's a link to the Cornell's All About Birds Sora Audio -- listen to the second or third recordings linked there for the descending whinny). 

On another occasion when I was able to photograph a sora, I was impressed by its huge feet, well suited for walking over soft mud without sinking in.

Sora Foraging Among the Cattails, 4/12/2021
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Images of Fall and Farewell!

Fairy Shrimp

Nothing Says Fall Like a Blue-Faced Meadowhawk