Things are Hopping in the Wetland!

Blanchard's Cricket Frog Metamorph, Homer Lake Wetland, August 4, 2021

I first noted seeing Blanchard's cricket frog metamorphs on July 31. There may have been some around before, but that's my first note in my notebook. Every visit since then, these tiny guys -- the one pictured above was approximately 1.3cm long (about half an inch) --  are abundant in various locations around the pond, leaping out of my way as I approach. The one above shows a bit of the bright green coloration that some have near the back legs, but others show more green or red in the midsections of their backs, just like the adults. I'm not seeing, or hearing, the adults very much any more. You may recall that this species has a very short life-span of less than two years, so disappearing adults may not be due to them wandering off to greener pastures...

Plains Leopard Frog Metamorph, Homer Lake Wetland, August 4, 2021

Somewhere along the way I also realized that the leopard frogs scattering to get out of my way were no longer the adults but metamorphs as well. Although about three times larger than the little cricket frog metamorphs, at about 4cm long, the young leopard frogs still have some growing to do to reach their full size. I'm seeing from five to ten cm for a full-grown plains leopard frog, so I guess not necessarily that much more growth is required. Unlike the adult cricket frogs, which normally stay near the water, the adult leopard frogs disperse into the surrounding fields and woods once breeding has taken place and I am guessing that the young metamorphs are headed that way as well until time to find deep enough water to spend the winter.


Surface Film of Frog Eggs -- either Green Frog or Bullfrog, Homer Lake Wetland, August 10, 2021

Today was the first day I noticed a surface film of frog eggs at the wetland. These would be either bullfrog or green frog eggs. Both species have been actively breeding for quite a while now, so the fact that I just noticed these today does not indicate that there haven't been eggs before this! There certainly must be both bullfrog and green frog tadpoles at various stages of development already swimming around the wetland. I will have to spend some time looking for those in the days ahead. The wetland water level is still doing well but I will be surprised if any bullfrog or green frog tadpoles make it to maturity -- of course the wetland is full of surprises!

Larger Gray Treefrog Metamorph, August 10, 2021

Finally in frog news, I just had to include this photo taken today. While I probably shouldn't play favorites, I can't help always being attracted to the lovely light green gray treefrogs. This one appeared to not yet be full grown and yet not as tiny as most of them I see hanging out in the wetland these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Images of Fall and Farewell!

Fairy Shrimp

Nothing Says Fall Like a Blue-Faced Meadowhawk